Computer Technology at IIT Delhi was started in 1976. It was one
of the earliest courses in the branch of Computer Science
offered in India when computers were in their early age of
development. This was much before the establishment of a separate
Computer Science & Engineering department in IIT Delhi.
The Computer Technology Group pursues research in broad areas of Computer Networking, Sensor Networks, Embedded Systems, Parallel and Distributed Processing, Big Data Analysis, CAD for VLSI, Computer Vision and Image Analysis, Biometrics, Pattern Recognition, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing, Multimedia Systems, Graph Theory, Systems Biology, Bioinformatics, and Music and Audio Processing. The group comprises of faculty members, and PhD, M.S.(Research), M.Tech and Dual Degree students.
It may be interesting to note that the Computer Technology programme has been selected as one of the top 5 Masters programmes in the entire institute. There were three programmes from the Electrical Engineering Department in this elite group, the other two programmes being the Integrated Electronics and Circuits (IEC) programme, and the VLSI Design: Tool and Technologies (VDTT) programme (which is jointly run with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. This is indeed a great honour for the group, since the other three Computer-related Masters programmes do not figure in this list of top 5 - the M.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, the M.Tech in Computer Applications of the Department of Mathematics, and the M.S.(R) of the Shashi and Amar Nath School of Information Technology.
We have a set of state-of-the-art set of Masters-level and above courses in Computer Science and Engineering, in five streams: Cognitive and Intelligent Systems, Embedded Intelligent Systems, Computer Communication and Networks, Multimedia Information Processing, and Internet Technologies. Details can be found here. These also form the five thrust areas of research in the group.
Faculty members of the group have won many prestigious National awards, and have many sponsored industrial and government projects with them. Some of these include
- Multilingual OCRs for Indian Scripts (A Rs.11 crore multi-institutional project, coordinated by the group, sponsored by the MCIT, Government of India)
- Autonomous Robotics (a Rs.9 crore project involving 5 groups, two in the EE Department, sponsored by the BRNS, Government of India)
- Wireless Sensor Networks (a Rs.4.32 crore project, sponsored by the NAIP)
- National Programme in Perception Engineering (a Re.1 crore multi-institutional project, jointly coordinated by the group, sponsored by the MCIT, Goverment of India) Currently in Phase II (a multi-institutional project, sponsored by the MCIT, Government of India, with the IITD outlay itself Rs.2.6082 crores)
- Satellite Communication (a Rs.65 lakhs project, sponsored by the ADA, Government of India)
- Indian Digital Heritage Project (a multi-institutional project coordinated by the group, sponsored by the DST, Goverment of India)
- 3-D TV (sponsored by the DST, Government of India)
- Green sensor networks (sponsored by Alcatel)
Breaking news (September, 2016): Dr. Swades De elected as a Fellow of the INAE!